BACOT (green) was named after John Thomas Watson Bacot (1821-1888), the surgeon who settled in the Howick area with the Fencibles. John Bacot arrived in New Zealand in June 1848 and was the Medical Officer to the Pensioner Settlements. He later became a member of New Zealand’s first Parliament representing the settlement. His wife was the eldest daughter of the late Captain Alexander MacDonald.
INGHAM (orange) was named after Mr Don Ingham, the Founding Principal of Howick College when the school opened its doors in 1974. He served as the Principal for 17 years from 1974 to 1991.
BELL (blue) is the named after the building known as Bell House situated in the Howick Colonial Village. It was originally built as the home of one of the first officers of the Fencible soldiers who came from Britain in the late 1840s to settle in Howick and to remember Howick's early heritage and the lives of the Fencible Settlers. The building was later sold to a local farmer, the Bell family, whose name remains to this day.
IRVINE (purple and gold) was named after one of the early English settlers Captain John Irvine. Captain Irvine served in India with the army before moving to Howick where he served as the last resident magistrate at the old Howick Courthouse. He lived on Ridge Road on a half acre property which he named "Prospect Hill" after his home in Northern Ireland. His historic homestead still stands there today.
MACDONALD (red and white) was named after Captain Alexander MacDonald who arrived in Auckland in October 1847 aboard the Sir Robert Sale which left Cork in July 1847. Alexander was a Captain in the New Zealand Fencibles and was voted into the position of Warden of Howick.
MINERVA (pink) was named after the sailing ship
Minerva which arrived with the first of the Fencible soldiers and some of the first settlers to Howick in 1847.