He aha te mea nui o te ao? / What is the most important thing in the world?
He tangata, he tangata, he tangata. / It is people, it is people, it is people.
Tanya Montgomery, Nicola Hensley and Carla King are the counsellors at Howick College. They are professionally trained, and are full members of NZAC. They work according to the ‘NZAC Code of Ethics’ and are expected to be trustworthy and respect your confidentiality.
What is Counselling?
In counselling you are assisted to explore your difficulties and concerns, and supported to find new solutions or ways of coping.
People might seek counselling for support for the following reasons:
- Difficulties at home/school
- Low self-esteem
- To make better informed decisions
- Support in problem solving and finding resolutions
- Feeling lost
- Managing anger
- Stress management
Whatever your issue or concern the counsellors will be happy to assist you.
Your counsellor may also:
- See you on your own or with support people
- Give you information
- Provide referrals for specific help
- Act on your behalf with your consent
- Facilitate mediations to resolve conflict
Help on the Internet
The internet has some useful information abut counselling/mental health issues. Here are some good sites that students or parents may wish to look at:
www.youthline.co.nz / www.thelowdown.co.nz / www.whatsup.co.nz / www.skylight.org.nz / www.theword.org.nz / www.rainbowyouth.co.nz / www.headspace.org.nz
To Make an Appointment
... it's easy:
- Come to the counselling centre and make direct contact with our counsellors
- Ask a parent, friend, tutor, teacher, dean or any other staff member to make an appointment for you.
- Email either Tanya, Nicola or Carla with your enquiry:
Tanya.Montgomery@howick.school.nz / Nicola.Hensley@howick.school.nz / Carla.King@howick.school.nz