Code of Practice

For the safety and comfort of our international students, Howick College follows the New Zealand Ministry of Education’s Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. (We will send you a copy on request, or read it at

Year Levels

The following are approximate ages for New Zealand school levels:

Year 9: 13 years old

Year 10: 14-15 years old

Year 11: 15-16 years old

Year 12: 16-17 years old

Year 13: 17-18 years old

Term Dates

The school year in New Zealand is divided up into four terms with a two week holiday period between each term. As New Zealand is the Southern Hemisphere, the end of the school year coincides with summer. A six week break over December and January offers students the chance to experience a unique Kiwi summer holiday with BBQs and trips to the beach.


The following dates are advised for 2017:

Term 1:  Tues 31 January - Thursday 13 April (11 weeks)

Monday 30 Jan - Auckland Anniversary (public holiday)

Friday 14 April - Good Friday (public holiday)


Term 2:  Mon 1 May - Fri 7 Jul (10 weeks)

Monday 5 June - Queen's Birthday (public holiday)


Term 3:  Mon 24 July - Fri 29 Sept (10 weeks)


Term 4:  Mon 16 Oct - Fri 7 Dec (TBC) - Year 9&10 (8 weeks)

                Mon 16 Oct - Fri 3 Nov (TBC) - Year 11,12&13

Monday 23 Oct - Labour Day (public holiday)


** Please note - Senior students (Year 11,12&13):

National exams start early in November and finis in the beginning December. Students doing exams may be able to leave earlier depending on the date of their last external exam.

For seniors not doing exams and who have paid full tuition for two terms there are two alternatives – they can join Year 10 and use the self-access IELTS programme or they can take part in the subsidised trip programme

Subject Choices

We offer a wide range of subjects which combine traditional academic subjects with practical technology, expressive arts and sports. International students can indicate on their application form, which subjects they are interested in, however their choices will be confirmed once they complete enrolment and begin at Howick College.


Senior students (Years 11, 12 and 13) in New Zealand work towards the National Certificate in Educational Achievement (NCEA) and this qualification is open to international students as well. The international Dean is available to help with choosing subjects that will suit each students' strengths, interests and goals.


The PDF below offers an idea of what subjects are on offer for Senior students. More information is available in the Curriculum area of the school website.

School Uniform

Like most schools in New Zealand, Howick College has its own uniform. Wearing a uniform creates a sense of community and belonging. We expect our students to wear their uniform correctly and with pride. Details on the Howick College uniform, including where to buy it, and general grooming guidelines, are on the school website here.


Students in Year 9-12 wear a blue pinstriped shirt or blouse with the school crest and in Year 13 students wear a white shirt or blouse with the school crest. All year levels wear a charcoal pinstriped skirt or trousers/shorts. For colder weather students may wear a school jumper or jacket.


International students who are studying at Howick College for one term or less do not have to wear school uniform.

Application requirements and procedures

Applicants must complete: 

  • the Howick College International Students Application form
  • the Medical Information & Trips form
  • an accommodation form: either for Homestay, Designated Caregiver or Parental Care

These forms are available from our website here.



The following information must be sent with your application:

  • two recent school reports
  • two passport-sized photographs
  • a letter in English introducing yourself, written by you without assistance
  • details of proposed insurance if you do not wish Howick College to arrange it.

International students at Howick College have to be successful students in their home country. They need very good results, especially in English. They must display a desire to fully co-operate with and contribute to the life of the school. We’ll use your school reports to judge whether you have a good chance of success in the New Zealand education system. We’ll assess your English language skills when you arrive in New Zealand and will make final decisions about your level and subject placements after that.


If your application is successful, you will receive an Offer of Place and an invoice for the fees payable. The Offer of Place will remain valid for one month. To confirm that you accept the offer, you have to pay the tuition fees as invoiced.

  • Payment can be made by cash, cheque, or by direct transfer into the school’s bank account. Account details will be stated on the invoice. Students applying directly from China, Vietnam, India or Bangladesh, should not send money until the visa is approved in principle.
  • When we receive the tuition fees, a receipt will be sent to you. You’ll need this for your visa application.
  • In order to study in New Zealand as an international student, you have to have a Student Visa. Full details of visa and permit requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service. You can read it on

When you apply for a visa, you have to supply:

  • A completed and signed Application to Study in New Zealand form
  • The application fee
  • Your passport
  • A recent passport photograph
  • Evidence of financial support while in New Zealand
  • The Offer of Place that we have sent you
  • Evidence that you have paid the course fees
  • Evidence of a guarantee of accommodation.

The requirements listed above are explained in greater detail on the Immigration Service website,


If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand, you MUST apply for a student visa to be able to study at our school. The Internatinal Student department are happy to help you apply for your visa.


Full details of visa requirements, advice on rights to emplyment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed at their website here:

Health services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full cost of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on

Accident insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand. However, you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Medical and travel insurance

International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while they study in New Zealand.


All students accepting a place at Howick College will be invoiced for an initial twelve months’ cover for travel and medical insurance by Uni-Care (PPP Policy). This payment is due with tuition and homestay fees, but will be refunded if students produce evidence of equivalent cover from their home country.


For an insurance policy from the student’s home country to be acceptable, it must contain the following features:

  • The insurer is a reputable and established company with an excellent credit rating
  • The insurer is able to provide cover at all hours
  • The policy covers the period of the student’s contract with the school
  • Travel insurance covering loss of baggage and personal effects, accident and injury, disruption to travel plans, cost of medical care in stopover countries
  • Medical benefits which include general practitioner visits and prescriptions through to major hospitalisation (public and private), optical and emergency dental procedures, with no excess. Sums insured must be very high, e.g. NZ$1,000,000 plus
  • Emergency evacuation/repatriation. Ideally this must be unlimited cover
  • Accompanying relative cover in the event of serious illness or death of the student
  • Personal effects
  • Personal liability cover