All students are required to wear school uniform. This page includes information on purchasing your uniform, prices, acceptable shoes, PE uniform and dress uniform.
The Howick College uniform consists of:
• regulation blue striped shirt with
Howick College crest
• regulation charcoal/white pinstripe trousers or
shorts for boys
• regulation charcoal/white pinstripe skirt for girls
• regulation charcoal and red stripe socks for boys/
black ankle socks for girls (or black opaque stockings)
- regulation white shirt with Howick College crest
- regulation charcoal/white pinstripe trousers or shorts for boys, with black belt
- regulation charcoal/white pinstripe skirt for girls
- regulation charcoal and red stripe socks for boys/ black ankle socks for girls (or black opaque stockings)
- Year 13 students may also choose to wear the formal blazer and school tie
** For colder weather, students have the choice of either the uniform jumper or jacket and an optional Howick College scarf is also available.
** PE uniform for boys and girls is regulation black shorts with Howick College crest, the regulation red and black sports top with Howick College crest.
Where to Buy Uniforms
Howick College uniforms are purchased from NZ Uniforms. The shop is located at: Unit B, 16 Bishop Dunn Place, Botany (by Mitre 10 Mega)
to view their website.
The shop is open 6 days per week, making it easier to purchase uniforms at a convenient time.
Opening Hours are:
Weekdays: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 1:00pm
Second hand Uniforms
Second hand uniforms are available to sell or buy via UniformMe - an online uniform shop where you can register items to sell or search for items to buy. You can find out more here: www.uniformme.co.nz
If you have items you wish to sell, please post them to the UniformMe Howick College section for others to search for.
For Students in Uniform
- Shoes must be clean, free of writing with the back of the shoe worn up and laces tied correctly
- Skirts must be knee length
- Hair ribbons/slides must be navy, white, grey or black. Extreme hair styles and/or unnatural colouring are unacceptable.
- Male students must be clean shaven.
- Jewellery should be minimal - one ring per hand, one very small gold or silver stud or sleeper earring in the lower ear, per ear, no bracelets, no visible necklace(s), and no other facial jewellery. This includes the tongue.
- Only school award badges may be worn.
- Eye make-up and nail varnish are not permitted.
- Sandals must be worn without socks or stockings. Boys may not wear sandals with long trousers.
- Boys’ long socks should be worn up with garters.
- T-shirts/singlets worn under the school uniform must not be visible. Students will be asked to remove these if visible.
- Trousers/shorts are to be worn so that the waistband sits at the waist.
For Mufti Days
The standard of grooming must be appropriate for a co-educational school setting and have regard for safety in specialist classrooms. This means:
- No worn out or dirty clothing or clothing with pictures or writing that may offend e.g. references to alcohol, drugs, gangs, rude slogans etc
- No facial jewellery, including tongue or nose studs, or any visible body piercing
- No singlets or very low cut or strapless tops or tops which expose the midriff
- No skimpy skirts or shorts
- No facial hair
- No caps or beanies worn in class
- No bare feet or rubber/plastic jandals
PE & Sports Uniform
Students in Years 9, 10 & 11 must wear the Howick College PE uniform for all PE classes. The PE uniform is the same for boys and girls, and consists of black shorts with the Howick College school crest and a red and white shirt.
Sporting teams may require their own uniform. Details will be given by the Sports team manager.
School regulations only allow certain shoes - plain flat black leather lace-up shoes, some shoes with straps are allowed.
NO: sports shoes, logos, boots, high heels, canvas shoes, or ballet style shoes, shoes with elastic bands.
These shoes are all appropriate:
Please make sure you only purchase shoes which fit the uniform code
- do not waste your money buying the wrong shoes.
Socks: boys - regulation charcoal/maroon stripe socks and girls - black ankle socks.
Dress Uniform (Number Ones)
Purpose: the dress uniform is reserved for students to wear at formal/special occasions and by senior students who symbolise excellence and leadership, eg: NCEA Excellence Endorsement Awardees; Premier Cultural and Sporting Representatives: BoT Student Trustee and House Leaders.
Students who require a dress uniform must contact the Uniform Shop manager a week before the uniform is required. You will be given instructions on how each item must be worn, plus the amount to be paid to the college in case of loss or damage for each item.
You must return all items clean and in good repair the following day as other students may require them.
If you require a blazer for the year or season, you will need to pay a bond of $70 ($50 is refunded once your blazer is returned in good condition).
Girls Dress Uniform:
Regulation uniform skirt
Regulation white blouse with crest
Black lace-up leather regulations school shoes
Regulation school tie
Regulation school blazer
Boys Dress Uniform:
Regulation uniform school trousers
Regulation white shirt with crest
Black leather regulation school shoes
Regulation school tie
Regulation school blazer