The following are comments from our latest ERO report which took place earlier in 2015. The College is now on a 4-5 year review cycle, which is the best review cycle available. A copy of the full report is available in the PDF below.
"Howick College provides high quality education. Students engage positively with a curriculum that supports and strengthens their learning. A school-wide focus on student wellbeing underpins the school’s educational vision. School leaders and teachers are highly committed to fostering each individual’s present and future potential."
- The college has a clear focus on building a strong learning community that values inspiration and innovation.
- ...high expectations for academic achievement.
- Students report a positive sense of belonging and pride in their school and agree that the school is inclusive and supportive.
- The college is already meeting the 2017 government targets of 85 percent of students achieving the National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) at Level 2.
- Māori and Pacific student achievement is above national NCEA percentages.
- The Howick College curriculum is well aligned to The New Zealand Curriculum (NZC) and promotes student engagement and learning very effectively
- Teachers are increasingly focused on engaging students in classroom programmes that encourage innovation, creative learning and thinking, as well as qualifications success.
- A well considered e-learning vision is being implemented in stages to develop digital competencies for both staff and students.
- The school offers an enriching range of co-curricular activities. There are many opportunities for students to experience success and build their leadership capability and social competencies. A variety of sporting, cultural and academic events celebrate student success and achievement.
- A culture of continuous improvement permeates the school.
- Students have leadership opportunities in the college where they can express their views, develop their skills and contribute to school decision-making.